What is POSSE?
POSSE (Prevent Ongoing Spread of STIs Everywhere) is a program of the HIV & STI (Sexually Transmitted Infection) Outreach Section at the Forsyth County Department of Public Health. The POSSE Team provides HIV and STI screenings and education in community locations in Forsyth County such as churches, jails, universities, homeless shelters, nightclubs, and community health fairs.
- In 2009 Forsyth County had the highest number of Syphilis cases in North Carolina
- All young people under 26 years old should be tested for Gonorrhea & Chlamydia at least once a year
- Many STIs do not cause visible symptoms – the only way to know you have an STI is to get tested
- 1 in 5 HIV positive individuals do not know they have HIV
Community Testing Sites
Free HIV/STI testing available year round at these locations
Pruebas gratis disponibles en estas locaciones.
- Southside United Health & Wellness Center
3009 Waughtown Street, Winston Salem, NC 27107
Monday - Friday, 8 am – 5 pm
- Community Care Center
2135 New Walkertown Road, Winston Salem, NC 27101
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursday, 9 am – 8 pm
Tuesday, 9 am – 5 pm
- Twin City Harm Collective
639 S. Green Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101
Mondays, 3 pm - 6 pm
- North Star LGBT Community Center
930 Burke Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101
last Wednesday of each month 5 pm -7 pm
University Testing Sites
Free HIV/STI testing available during the school year at these locations
- UNC School of the Arts
1st & 3rd Thursdays, 5:30pm-7:00pm
- Salem College
2nd and 4th Thursdays, 5pm-7pm
- Wake Forest University
2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 5pm- 7pm
- Winston Salem State University
1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 5pm-7pm
University Testing is for resident students only. Contact student health services for appointments.